Friday, November 11, 2005

Nagoya seems nice!

My favorite part of flying has always been take offs and landings. Of course, did you ever hear someone tell you they loved to sit for hours doing nothing? Of course I like take offs and landings, that is the only time anything happens-unless you are like me and lucky about seats. I always seem to end up near an attractive woman. Case in point; the time I almost got off the plane in Sacramento. I was in fact on the way to Seattle, but I nearly followed a blonde home for the hell of it. The last time I flew, I sat between an Asian and a blonde. There is no better place to be that between two women, but there can also be no worse place too. I was happy.
How long has it been since I was happy? I think I was unhappy for a long time in my life, and it occurs to me today that it is no longer true. I am happy. I am free of all attachments, and all responsibilities. The Marine Corps has no say on me, I have no woman, and no kids either. I am a stranger in a not-so-strange land, a land I fought to return to. I don’t speak the language well, but I am not sad about that. I don’t really want to talk to anyone anyway. I think I just want to be alone for a while. Of course, I cant help but to look at all the pretty girls going by, but that is endemic to my half of the species, and I am unable to do much about it.
So here I am, in Japan. I have to ask myself; now what? The truth is I don’t know. As the honorable Mr Diamond said, “being lost is worth the thrill of coming home,” and I have to believe that is true. I don’t mean home as in Puyallup, but as in that place inside that says you belong. I am still seeking something I have never found, and I don’t know what it is. I think the effort I have expended in seeking it will be rewarded someday. Otherwise, I could not continue, and as I said, I am happy here, now. Not content, but happy.
So anyway, here I am in Japan. I love my apartment, but my roommates are sketch. I figured both would be, so this is an improvement on my expectations. Tomorrow my stuff arrives, and I will get settled in for the long haul. As of right now, job unseen, I think I can do two years right where I am very easily. I just need to buy a bike to cut down on my commute. More to come about everything, and nothing at all.

3 comments:

Voodoo said...

Yokoso Nihon!

Enjoy Nagoya, but come down to the Big Takoyaki for some...well, Takoyaki.

Anonymous said...

You speak of thnigs that most are afraid to say out loud. If you figure our contentedness, let me know how you achieve it. I seek that state of mind as well.
I applaud your ability to attain a goal that takes you off 'the beaten path.' I admire your ability to make this big step in life. Not many can achieve a dream such as you.
Congratulations!

Travis said...

You are my hero... seriously... I'll see you this spring boyeeee! and you'd better keep this blog updated so I remain jealous for a long time... LA was cool, the experience, not the town... Manhattan Beach is sweet though.

Remember, "the sure thing boat never gets to far from the shore" You're definitely far from shore.