I had an ephinay today. Part of my education in Japan is learning about discrimination, and how it effects a person. In this case, it is me. I feel the effects of it here, some obvious, some not, but it is undeniably there. My ephinany is that I have become a little paranoid about it. I now see it where it isn't, as well as where it is.
I have a much better understanding of ghetto-ism, and knee jerk reactions to things I interpret as racist. Paranoia is an effect of living in a different culture, this is known, how do I bring myself to better interpret slights intended, from those unintentional, or those simply imagined? It is my mission of the week.
Also, how wrong are the slights? I apply my own standards of modernity to all other cultures, and I know that this is incorrect, but I have no other lens with which to view them. Is there a vision of modernity that can encompass all cultures??? How important are human rights, and what are those rights in relation to OTHER CULTURES?
No comments:
Post a Comment